Monday, March 17, 2008

Top 'o the Week

Clover Lore
Did you know, that on St. Patrick's Day, if you don't wear something green, that nasty little Leprechauns (as if there are any other kind?) will leap out of their hiding places and pinch you? It's true I tell ya!

Okay fine, it's not true but it's a fun little thing to tell kids. A story, a little make-believe. Funny thing is, they all came downstairs with bright green clothing on this morning! Imagine that. I have no idea where this story came from, or why little kids so eagerly believe it, but when I was a kid it was common knowledge among my peers, and you can be sure that if St. Paddy's day fell on a school day, there wasn't one kid that would show up to school, not wearing some type of green.


For the first few years after I became a Christian, I really avoided these sort of superstitious, impractical things. I fell into a rather legalistic, fuddy-duddy mindset that didn't allow me to have fun with silly things like this anymore. I didn't want to do, or tell my kids anything that wasn't 100% Biblically centered, and such things like wearing green on St. Paddy's day was silly and nothing I wanted to pass on to them. My heart was in the right place but my thinking was a wee bit narrowminded. Somehow, I forgot that it's okay to enjoy a little make-believe, as long as it's firmly established that it is make-believe, and just for fun.

You've probably already read it, but Kim's got a nice little slice of Irish history posted at her blog this morning, which is not make-believe. I was also informed last night that Dr. Liam Ian Goligher* will be the guest today on Chris Arnzen's Iron Sharpens Iron, discussing the truth behind the stories of St. Patrick. Just load this link at 3pm eastern to listen live. You can even call in the show to ask questions by dialing 1-631-321-WNYG (9694) (Chris loves callers, go ahead and call!)

That's it for me. I better run and put on something green... Leprechauns can be rather sneaky.

(*I mixed up Dr. Liam Goligher with Ian Goligher, so I apologize if that was misleading for anyone)