Friday, March 28, 2008

Signs of Spring

Yesterday while I was working upstairs, I passed by my bedroom window and noticed a dark lump, way out by the mailbox. One of our pair of binoculars happened to be sitting right there so I grabbed them and zoomed in on the mysterious dark lump. As it turned out, he was no ordinary dark lump, he was a napping 'coon, sitting just off the road in a snowy field.

Nap

(click picture to see larger view)


A couple of hours later he was still there having his daily snooze, so I went out with the camera to take his picture. I love him! Doesn't he look incredibly soft? Yes, I know his claws aren't soft and I know him and his friends like to mess around with trash cans, but I still love him, he's so cute! I did wonder why he was sleeping on the ground, since I've only seen them sleep in trees, so I went looking and found this nifty site that explains it. I was a little concerned that maybe he was hurt (like I was going to help him? He'd likely rip my face off), but apparently raccoons do like to sleep on the ground, as well as in trees.

Seeing him yesterday, and also seeing that green pointy stuff sticking out beneath the snow, is a sure bet that spring really is just right around the corner - despite the 2 inches of new snow we got overnight. This time of year, I don't really mind snow in the forecast because you know it's not going to be around for the next 6 months.

A few other signs of spring I've noticed this past week:

Lady bugs, wild turkeys, red winged blackbirds, and the sound of birds chirping in the morning, just outside my window. Yes indeed, spring really is just around the corner.