Saturday, February 9, 2008

2008: The Year of ECM Fruit

Once upon a time there was a blog called Emergent No. The purpose of the blog was to educate and equip those among the evangelical church, with information pertaining to the 'emerging church' movement. From the spring of 2005 until the fall of 2006, my fellow contributors and I posted articles, links, and various resources toward that end. Enough people began to take this research seriously, that we closed the blog down, but you can actually still access the posts, right here (thanks to the wayback machine).

Doug Pagitt, a name well known among the emerging church crowd, once predicted that 2005 (referenced in this post) would be the year of intense critique of the ECM movement. He was partially correct. It was the year that more and more people began to hear of this movement, and ask questions. I don't know that I'd agree that 2005 was the year of critique as Pagitt made it out to be but I do agree that 2005 was the year it began, and rightfully so.

So why do I write about this now, you're wondering?

Simply to say, I believe (for very good reason) that 2008 will be the year that at least some of the real fruit of the ECM will come into full view. When I say the fruit of the ECM, I mean from various "streams" of the emerging movement - from those who left the association with "emergent" formal (as in Emergent Village) who wanted to be more aligned with this fluid "emerging" philosophy couched in what many will call orthodoxy, or solid "reformed" theology (which is up for debate, I might add), to those still firmly aligned with the more liberal end of all this mess, to those somewhere in between.

There are a lot of things going on right now among this movement (however loosely associated some may say they are), and while I'm certainly not going to sit here and type this out in a gloating type of fashion, I would be dishonest to say that I am not glad that this is coming to pass. The warnings were sounded years ago, and good brothers and sisters such as John MacArthur, Phil Johnson, Steve Camp and Ingrid Schlueter have stepped up to the plate to continue to sound those warnings loud and clear. Some listened and searched the Scriptures to see if what these folks were saying was true (like good Bereans). Some mocked and dumped them (and everyone else who agreed with them) into the prudish, fundamental, old-school or extremist file - and completely wrote them off as those that had nothing useful to say.

I am not a prophet or a psychic (nor am I at liberty just now to go into any detail, sorry), but I can tell you that if you're a regular evangelical blog reader, you're going to begin to see a "resurgence" of sorts, of ECM critique (and for very good reason).

I would strongly recommend that you pray for the people in these churches, as the inner workings of some of these things begins to be made public information.

Just something to consider.