Thursday, January 10, 2008

Just do it already

Someone once said that those sort of blog posts that are introspective and personal are the kinds of posts that no one really reads and no one really cares about anyway. I don't know if that's true for most, but this is a "where I am right now" post and I'd like to assume at least someone cares. On the other hand, maybe that really is true about no one caring and us bloggers just blog because it's what we do? It's hard to say. With that said...

Some of you may have noticed that I'd added a 2008 reading list to the sidebar. In a way I did that for the benefit of those reading (we all like a good book suggestion) and in another way to sort of help keep me accountable to finish what I start. The theory is, if my reading list is public like that - then there's a chance someone might say "hey, you ready such-and-so book, right? Tell me what you thought of it?" In which case, if I were tempted to not finish what I start (I'm good at doing that), the temptation would be removed. Maybe. It's just a theory, it doesn't mean it works. I'm hoping it does.

Speaking of finishing what I start, that's something that has been really weighing heavy on my mind lately. Unfinished projects. I have more of those than I should, and I need to somehow become much more disciplined and get them done. I've already limited myself to less computer time in the new year, but I'm going to have to buckle down even more.

That, coupled with the caustic tone lately of so much of what I've read online that has left me conflicted and disheartened, has left me seriously considering shutting down this blog and fading into the sunset. I think about it from time to time and then realize that on the off chance I have something to say that encourages or edifies someone, causes someone to look up something in the Scriptures, makes someone laugh or in some way makes someone's life a little easier, then I truly desire to be able to do that. Of course I have that opportunity every day with my family, and very few close friends that I talk to nearly every day, but writing is so much a part of who I am and what I do (since 5th grade, just about every day), that I guess blogging is my outlet for this. You'd think after almost 4 years of blogging, I would have run out of things to say by now, eh? Maybe I have, maybe I haven't, but as tempting as it is sometimes to step away from the whole thing, I just keep writing. I suppose there might even be some folks that would prefer I disappear. I suspect some day I will, but it probably wont be just yet.

A few days ago I read someone say that they were spending too much time online and letting household things pile up, and someone responded with something that made me laugh. The response was something along the lines of "oh quit whining and be an adult - get offline and do what you need to get done". Indeed! Like the Nike commercial, "just do it".

So, to stop the nagging guilt I feel about all those unfinished projects and unread books - and to take a much needed break away from the blogtroversies that I much prefer to avoid anyway, I'll be online much less for a while. It's not a big deal, there are plenty of great blogs to read, but I figured it was the thing to do to let my readers know.

If you feel led to pray for me, that would sure be much appreciated.