Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bending the Mind

Last night while reading The God Who Justifies, I came across this gem:
"It is our joyous privelege and duty as believers to bend our mind to the task of studying, learning and obeying God's word, a lifelong duty from which we are never relieved." (Chapter 9, pg. 129)

I read that, then read it again. Then read it a third time and just had to stop for a minute to really consider the implication of such a statement. I know that for me this is in fact a true statement. It is in fact a joyous privelege and my duty to bend my mind to the study of God's word. So much so, that it has caused at least one person to tell me that they think I take my Christianity far too seriously. Thats a statement for another post completely.

While I read last night the thought occured to me that its quite likely not a common thing for a woman to take a book on such a topic as justification, and look so forward to reading it that as I do read it, I lose track of time and am just so engrossed that its a real "page turner" for me. I think there is an unwritten rule somewhere that women are generally supposed to use that approach on books that address more feminine issues such as being a good Titus 2 lady. I have read and studied quite a bit on that topic, but I know I've only skimmed the surface of whats out there, and I want to dig much deeper.

I have decided that for me, 2008 will be the year of bending my mind. Not that I don't study already, but in this case I mean that I deeply desire to study and learn from tried and tested authors that address practical Christian life, as it pertains specifically toward motherhood, wives, sisters and daughters. I love my theological works, and I love the way they make me think and apply what I've read to preconceived ideas. I'm not going to give that up, but there is a lack in my study materials in the more feminine side and I want to remedy that this year. I already have some authors in mind that I want to learn from (Martha Peace is one, to be sure) but I wonder if you who read this, would be willing to leave your suggestions?

I do look forward to your thoughts on this topic, so please do leave a suggestion if you have one.