Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A different sort of Christmas list

My mom sent this to me in email today, and since it's just loads easier doing it this way, here we go:


Welcome to the annual Christmas edition of getting to know your friends. Okay, here's what you're supposed to do, and try not to be a SCROOGE!!! Change all the answers so that they apply to you then forward this to a whole bunch of people you know, INCLUDING the person that sent it to you...
'Tis the Season to be NICE!

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper. As tedious as it is, I love to carefully hand wrap every gift I give.

2. Real tree or artificial? Absolutely real!

3. When do you put up the tree? We have a Tree Day tradition that started 10 years ago. Since my birthday is two weeks before Christmas, I get a tree for my birthday every year :-) We head to the tree farm and after we pick out the tree we warm up in the barn with hot cider and cookies while they bind up the tree for us and get it ready to strap on top of the van. When we bring it home we let it sit for 24 hours and then we decorate it. Decorating is accompanied by Christmas music being played in the background, hot chocolate and candy canes.

4. When do you take the tree down? Usually around New Year's Day.

5. Do you like eggnog? Do I like eggnog? Do I like eggnog? What kind of a blithering lunatic wrote this question!? Oh wait, 'tis the season to be nice - yes - I LOVE eggnog, and believe it should be for sale 365 days a year.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? That's a tough question. I'm not sure if any of these were my favorite gifts or if they were just the most memorable, but it's a tie between my Hong Kong Fooey Knee Socks, Pillsbury Doughboy (and family) playset, and an incredibly soft plush lion I got when I was about 3.

7. Do you have a Nativity scene? I have one in my miniature Christmas village, and another one that someone made for us, and another one that is the base of a snowglobe. So yes, I have 3 of them.

8. Hardest person to buy for? Kev's dad, and my gma.

9. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I'll never tell!

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Both, but I sure miss getting so many cards in the mail that we'd cover the inside of the door with them, in the shape of a Christmas tree.

11. Favorite Christmas Movie? A Christmas Carol, A Christmas Story, White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, A Miracle on 34th Street... (as you can see, I have lots of favorites)

12. When do you start shopping for Christmas? December 26th, if I can. When I am able, I buy throughout the year and tuck things away.

13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes, as a joke - and the person who got it, received the exact same gift the year before and they recycled it too. Oh, the irony.

14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? That's a toss up between Kev's mom's all butter shortbread cookies, or my bacon quiche & strawberry crepes Christmas morning. Oh I'm getting hungry.

15. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I prefer colored but ours are all clear.

16. Favorite Christmas song? O Holy Night

17. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Definitely stay home.

18. Can you name all of Santa's reindeers? Yes, yes I can.

19. Angel on the tree top or a star? A star.

20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We're up before dawn with the quiche and crepes warming in the oven and coffee brewing and grown ups shaking the fog off, as the kids come down the stairs to open gifts Christmas morning.

21. Most annoying thing about this time of year? That the magical, wonderful feeling of giving and seeing everyone smiling doesn't last 365 days a year.

Okay... now it's your turn. Grab the list and post it with your answers at your blog! It'll be fun, you'll see.