Thursday, December 27, 2007

Bible Promises: Wisdom

(Part of the Bible Promises series found here)

When I was a little girl, I was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt, that in order of most wise in the universe God was #1 and my gpa was #2. Those who know me well, have heard me say this I'm sure.

My gpa was a man who not only retained information on just about any subject you could think of, but he was also a man with sharp insight and quite practical. He always seemed to have the right answer, and always knew what to say, how and when to say it, and what to do, in just about any situation. It was a goal of mine as a child to grow up and be as wise as my gpa.

I did inherit one thing from him, and that's the sharp memory, or ability to recall information or details about past events or materials read. I probably learned also how to be practical, from the example he set, and then taught to my own mother. However, the one thing I lacked was what I believe to be the core of wisdom, and thats the discernment of any given situation and the ability to give the right and true answers or response. To me, that's the real sign of wisdom in a person, and this is something I believe can only come from God. While it's entirely possible for an unbeliever to display worldly wisdom and give practical advise, to have Godly wisdom is to obtain irrefutable insight and discernment in matters that are a step above worldly wisdom, and in matters that are of eternal significance.

As a mother, having wisdom in raising my children well is something I long for. As a wife, wisdom in being a good and Godly wife is yet another goal. In every role I have whether it's a close, personal relationship with someone or whether it's "blogger", "writer", "tenant" or any other hat I wear, my desire is to have wisdom. To have the right answers, to give the right answers, and not only have sharp discernment in any given situation but be able to put it into practice for the benefit of myself and those involved, and ultimately for the glory of God. To some this might seem like an unattainable goal but the Bible promises that it most certainly is available.

Here are some verses that show us all where this wisdom comes from, and how to have it:

• For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly. (Proverbs 2:6-7)

• If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. (James 1:5)

• Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom. (Psalm 51:6)


In each of these verses there is a common theme of humility and trust on the part of man. In the first example sound wisdom is layed up for the righteous; those who have been humbled before God and understand their own weakness and complete dependancy on Him. In the second example verse 6 of this passage reminds us that asking for this wisdom must be done in faith without any doubt that God will do exactly as this verse says. It goes on to say that such a man is unsable in all his ways and that he wont receive the wisdom he asks for. In the third example, the entire chapter's context is complete humility and desire to live a life pleasing to God.

Put another way, obtaining the wisdom we seek is dependant on the attitude in which we ask. While our Heavenly Father is more than able to give wisdom to anyone, those that He does give it to are those who are of a humble and contrite heart, trusting in Him completely.

While this information may be rather to simple to write about, actually putting it into practice is another matter. It's easy to say, but not always so easy to do, since we each battle our own doubts, our own attitudes and our own pride. There are numerous "Christian phrases" that come to mind here. Such as, walking the talk, feet to your faith or faith in action. While those phrases may be a bit corny, they really do sum up how we attain the wisdom we seek.

The Bible promises Godly wisdom for those who are righteous and walk uprightly, those who ask in faith without any doubt, and those who's deepests heart's desire is to serve Him by every thought, every word and by every deed, all the days of their lives.