Sunday, December 2, 2007

Better than Pizza?

We knew the storm was coming but we were hoping it wouldn't be as bad as they said. It was, and when we woke up today we weren't snowed in, we were iced in. We probably had about 1/2" of ice covering everything from the van, trees, driveway and everything else out there. Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be even worse, with colder temps and snowsqualls producing zero-visibility driving conditions. It's the beginning of yet another season of "kids, we're not going to church today" and disappointed little faces. As much as they become sad when they're told we're missing church, and as strange as it sounds, I'm glad that this is their response.

I'm glad that they want to be around other Christians. I'm glad they want to sing and praise the Lord together with our church family. I'm glad that they look forward to their Sunday School lessons and the fellowship times they have with their friends. A few days ago while driving the girls to their mid-week Girl's Club meeting, I overheard the conversation coming from the back of the van. It went something like this:


Rachel: what's your favorite day of the week?
Jordan: Friday because it's movie night/pizza night!
Rachel: mine is Sunday because we have church and Sunday School!
Jordan: oh yeah mine too, THAT's my favorite!

As I drove along and thought about this little conversation, I had to chuckle because it reminded me of that eery family where all the kids say all good things all the time and everyone looks perfect at any given time of day. Sorta like that Stepford Family that poses alongside the gentle flowing stream and all the kid's clothes are stain-free and well fitting. Even the family dog looks like he belongs in a pet food commercial. I'm pretty sure those families don't really exist except for on the covers of magazine and cake mix commercials, and I'm entirely sure that my family doesn't look anything like this 99.99%. So, to hear such good things coming from my 8 and 10 year old just did a mother's heart real good.

When your kids are more sad because they're missing church, than they are happy because it snowed, that's a really good thing. When your kids like church more than they like pizza, that's a really good thing.

I pray they feel the same way for the rest of their lives.