Monday, November 12, 2007

Thankful For: Hymns

Recently when the kids learned that we were going to have a Hymn Sing at church, and that there would be a sign up sheet for anyone who wanted to sing a special hymn, their reaction absolutely blessed my heart. We asked them if they wanted to sign up and it was a unanimous YES, from all four of the youngest kids. After some deliberation we thought it was best that all four of them not be on stage at once, so we made the decision to only have two of them sign up, rather than all four. Maybe when they're all a wee bit older, having all four of them sing on stage at once would be good.

In any event, we asked them what hymn they'd like to sing, and reminded them that it had to be one they knew well, and really enjoyed singing. They picked O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing, and so they have been practicing each morning at school and each night after devotion, for the last week. When I told them yesterday that we will need to arrive early next Sunday night for the sound check, you could see the nervousness/anticipation in their expressions as they realized probably for the first time that this means they'll be standing in front of people singing. They've both been on stage before in plays and skits, but this is different since it will just be the two of them. Being 7 and 8 years old, this is a huge deal.

Their "debut" is less than a week away now, and regardless of the fact that they both know this hymn, I fully expect them to mess up at least a little bit once they're up there singing in front of people. But that's okay, it's the fact that they were eager to sing a hymn in church, that made me so glad. I'm going to attempt to videotape via my little camera but I wont promise it's going to turn out very well. If it works, I'll share it here next week.

Here are the verses they'll be singing:


O for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer’s praise,
The glories of my God and King,
The triumphs of His grace!

My gracious Master and my God,
Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad
The honors of Thy name.

Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
That bids our sorrows cease;
’Tis music in the sinner’s ears,
’Tis life, and health, and peace.

He breaks the power of canceled sin,
He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean,
His blood availed for me.

Glory to God, and praise and love
Be ever, ever given,
By saints below and saints above,
The church in earth and heaven.

Amen!