Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Slow Down

I don't really have time this morning to explore this but I had a thought last night and found it interesting how applicable it is to spiritual things.

As most of my readers know, I have DaiLup disorder. For that reason, the ISP I have comes with an accelerator that is supposed to compress graphics to make pages load faster. When it works, it works pretty well. When it doesn't work (which is about 50% of the time) it crashes IE7 and I lose whatever I'm working on. The conflict is between the accelerator itself, and Windows Vista (which I'd probably love to pieces, if I were using it with high speed access).

So, for the last week or so I've been using my ISP without turning the accelerator on and IE7 hasn't crashed once, and I haven't lost anything. It makes online time much slower, but the quality is much better.

You probably already see where I'm going here but it was hard not to notice a spiritual application of trying to rush through things and only getting to the goal part of the time, and the other part of the time, crashing (always with consequences and losing something in the process) and having to start over. We can't accelerate prayer, Bible study, sitting under sound teaching, raising kids with grace and consistancy, or any of the other disciplines of Christian life. We have to turn off the temptation to speed things up so that we don't crash. Sure it's much slower, but the quality is much better, as well.

Someday I'll learn how to apply this much more often.