Monday, October 22, 2007

Becoming Her

A few days ago I was talking with a friend about the roles of women in the church. Specifically at it pertains to the whole complimentarian/egalitarian issue that is such a hot button topic these days. Anyone who knows me already knows that I have firm convictions about such things and that women in leadership positions in the church should be subjected to the Biblical direction for women (as opposed to the 'feelings' women have that they have been called to do this or that, and the doctrinally ignorant men and women who stand behind and support them).

I may or may not write about that again in the not too distant future, but as I thought about that conversation, the roles of women in general seemed to me to be more interesting to think about. Interesting to me anyway, since the issue of women in leadership in the church is already a settled issue. Women's roles in general however, and especially as it pertains to women in society, women in the home, and women of influence really is much more fascinating to me.

When I read John MacArthur's Twelve Extraordinary Women, I was so eager to pick it up each time and read more about such women of influence, and women of strong moral character. While these were definitely "women in the church", as it pertains to women who believe, the focus was more on their character and how they were influential and memorable for who they were and what they did.

The older I get the more I realize that at some point (maybe even now?) I'm going to have to take the Titus 2 Woman aspect of being an older woman in the church, in a much more conscious way. While I'm only 42, that simply means that for some who are older than me, it's not really my "time" yet. But for those who are younger than me, it means that my character and witness for Christ is quite likely being noticed. Whether my character and witness is glorifying God or not, is a huge concern to me (as it should be).

To be quite honest, that scares me. Most of the time I'm so preoccupied with my own family and their needs, that I just don't have time to invest in being a good "Titus 2 Woman" example to anyone younger in my church. On the one hand that does bother me because it's a ministry definitely needed in our local churches for the younger women. On the other hand, it's unrealistic for me to "do" anything about it, since I still have a young family that needs to be looked after. I guess in that regard, I am busy being a Titus 2 Mom.

I only hope I'm doing it well enough to be a good example to my own kids, let alone anyone else who may be taking mental notes.