Monday, October 8, 2007

Autumn at 86?

I love October. I know folks say you're not supposed to be able to love something that can't love you back, but that's okay with me - I still love October.

When I was a little kid, our grade school always had a school carnival in October, and it was something us kids looked forward to. There were games and prizes and cookies and brownies and all that sort of yummy kid-food & kid-fare.

I vividly recall the Friday night football games at the highschool, even though I was never there. We lived close enough to the highschool that I could sit on the front porch and hear the referee's whistle and the roar of the crowds. I remember thinking that some day when I was grown up, I'd be going to those games! Oddly enough, or maybe not so oddly, one of the most cherished memories I have as a teenager was at Friday night football game at the highschool, in the pouring rain. We won, we got drenched to the bone, and one of the most profound things that stands out about that night, was that everyone was laughing, smiling, and just having a great time. That game was played on October 10th.

October Morn by Robert WoodI don't know when it came into our house, but my mom had this Robert Wood print called October Morn. (see more of his work here) I remember going into her room just to stand there and look at this print. It's been a while since I did this, but after gazing at it for a few minutes I remember how I used to imagine myself sitting on that rock on the left. How I could almost smell the scent of fallen leaves, and feel the slight chill in the air. I knew this print like the back of my hand, and would pretend there was a trail off to the right that would lead right to my back door. I so badly wanted to live in this print, it was rather comical.

When I moved out of my mom's house at 18, she let me take it with me. The frame fell apart years ago, and as of today the print has been filed for many years, under P in the file cabinet. I had to take it out to look at it again and show it off here... and now I have to re-frame it so I can enjoy it all over again.

The funny thing is, I now live where it looks just like it does in this print. Today as I drove into town I passed a girl of about 10, raking fall leaves off her sidewalk. Everything in the scene I drove past looked just like the scene in this print, except for one very odd thing. This girl was dressed in shorts and a tank top. It was about 86 degrees today at the warmest part of the day. That might not sound so strange to folks where it's normally warm at this time of year, but for southern Ontario, it's not normal at all.

According to the Old Farmer's Almanac (which is eerily accurate), today is more or less officially the very last day of summer-like weather, and the real October weather is due to arrive tomorrow. For today though, we all dressed in shorts for one last time. We were all barefoot, and the kitchen was almost too hot as dinner baked in the oven. As much as I love October, I have no complaints that the Lord chose to extend to us a taste of Indian Summer this year.

October Eve

After dinner I stepped out onto the kitchen porch, and couldn't help but notice the brilliant color of the sky, so I thought I'd share my own October Eve. See why I love October?