Wednesday, September 12, 2007

It's Sunday Afternoon - Have You Seen YOUR Church Deacons?

Okay so this is the part of the post where I say

"I'm going to link to a news item that will in all likelihood, make you go "ewwww!" when you read it".

So this is the warning part. Feel free to skip the article completely if you like, I wont repost anything here pertaining to the most ewwish aspect of this story, I promise.

There I was, minding my own business reading FOX news, and this headline jumped out at me:


A couple of things immediately came to mind. One, was the same thing I always think when I hear about violence associated with sports, as it pertains to fans: "okay that's just stupid". Now, let it be known that I love sports, love to play, am very competative and always have been. I get the whole "this is MY team" thing. It's fun, and it's harmless fun. Where it crosses the line from harmless fun to downright stupid, is when men & women go all spastic and engage in acts of violence to defend their team's name, or favorite player or whatever. When you're inflicting physical harm on purpose, onto another person, you've gone round the bend. More than that, it's a good possibility you are nothing but an embarassment to the very team (or at least many of the players & staff) you're going ballistic to "defend". In a nutshell, grow up and stop acting like the bully on the playground and enjoy a good competative sport for what it is, a GAME. Okay that was the first thought I had, but oh yes, there's more.

Second thought was: well duh, it's a bar. Sports fans in a bar aren't sitting around drinking coke, okay? Now my gpa used to visit with friends at a local tavern, and he always drank coffee, but folks like my gpa are the exception to the rule and we all know this. 9 out of 10 of them are in there just a boozin' it up getting tanked and acting more and more stupid with every elbow lift. Oh wait... they're not acting, this is real. The more beer or alcohol you drink, the more your common sense and propriety degenerates toward the level of a 3 year old cry baby who's already been diagnosed with every personality disorder known to man, and even a few they don't have a name for yet. And who isn't on his medications.

So the above combination is a sure-fire recipe for producing the kind of lunacy indicated by the headline. But wait, there's even more!

While reading the article, a few things quite stunningly lept clean off my flat screen at me. Here's just a snippet:

According to police, 32-year-old Texas fan Brian Christopher Thomas walked into Henry Hudson's Pub on June 17 wearing a Longhorns T-shirt and quickly became the focus of football "trash talk" from another regular, 53 year-old Oklahoma fan Allen Michael Beckett. Beckett, a 53-year-old church deacon, federal auditor and former Army combat veteran, has pleaded not guilty.

Okay. It's a pub, there's a regular in the pub, who (from witness accounts) began to trash talk in the presence of a fan of an opposing team. No big surprise there. Said regular-pub-patron and trash talker, and the man charged with a most repulsive act of violence towards another sports fan is... however.... a church deacon.

Now, can this get ANY worse? Oh yes, I think it can. Take a look on your calender and note what day June 17th was.

Yep, I was thinking the SAME thing.

Now to be fair, he's only been charged and hasn't been found guilty - and he also denies the assault. We also don't know if he really DID do this, or if he's genuinely repentant for it if he did, which would obviously be the thing to do/be. However, he was there, he's a regular, and this is what he's been charged with.

Welcome to church in 2007. Can I get a "gack"?