Sunday, September 9, 2007

Book Stuff

I had planned over the summer months to finish several books, and I almost made it. I'm about halfway through my last book, and I must say, it feels pretty good to have finished the books on my list. Here are the books I've read in the last few months:


Twelve Extraordinary Women - John MacArthur
The Truth War - John MacArthur
Pulpit Crimes - James White
Scripture Alone - James White

The way my reading schedule works, I should be done with The Forgotten Trinity by James White, in another couple of weeks. I really didn't set out to read according to author, thats just the way it worked itself out. Or rather, the way God worked it out.

Kev and I were talking yesterday after his excursion to the book table at the Sola Scriptura conference. Yep, he did buy a book. Taking Kev to a place where there is a book table filled with doctrinal works, is like taking a kid to the fair then telling them they can't go on any rides, have any cotton candy, or even pet the animals in the barns. Nothing short of cruel and unusual. Here's the book he bought:


This Little Church Stayed Home

By Gary E. Gilley / Evangelical Press


Exploring the temptation to sell out to "new ideas" in postmodern marketing and mystical theology, Gilley exhorts congregations to remain true to the historic doctrines of the Christian faith. Reminding us of God's chosen means to convert sinners, he redirects our focus to the good news of Jesus Christ. 176 pages, softcover from Evangelical Press.

I haven't read this book yet, but I've heard a lot about it and I'm looking forward to it myself, when he's done with it.

Other than that, I don't have a book list waiting for me. Well, that's not entirely true, I would like to read The God Who Justifies (James White) and Desiring God (John Piper) but those titles are sort of on the "to read later" list. My to read later list is huge, but those are the first two entries on it.

Book lists for me during the school year, consist mostly of textbooks. As it pertains to our Bible courses for the different age levels, that's not a bad thing at all. Much of what we go over in school is stuff that for me, even as an older Christian, is still a blessing, still beneficial, and something I still find a great deal of joy in discussing and teaching. One added bonus to being a homeschooling teacher is that for all that I thought I already knew, it's not uncommon at all for me to learn quite a lot of new things myself, as I teach the material to the kids.

I mentioned the other day that Jessica is almost done with her Bible course, and I'm looking for a new book/workbook to get for her, when it's time. Kevin suggested a work on the person and the work of the Lord Jesus Christ, and I'm thinking that's a really good idea. Some kind of work specifically designed for homeschool use, or a work that has a study guide (or audio teaching?) with it, for questions & discussion ideas.

If any of you have any suggestions on a work like this, with this subject matter, I'm all ears.