Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Bible Promises: Strength

(From the Bible Promises series)
Trust in the Lord
It is most interesting to note that the Scriptures contain so many verses about God giving His people strength, that you might think we are a people prone to forgetting where our strength really does come from. Indeed we are exactly like that.

Over and over again, the Scriptures tell us where our strength is to be found. Some of the first ones that might come to mind as you think about this would be:




The joy of the LORD is your strength.
(Nehemiah 8:10)
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
(Ephesians 6:10)
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
(Philippians 4:13)

Certainly there are many others, and just to give you some starting points I would suggest Psalm 18:32-33; 27:1; 28:7-8; 37:39; 73:26.


As I considered how many places there are in the Bible that consistantly reassure us of His strength, my thoughts immediately went to all the times I have diligently and even feverishly prayed and petitioned Him for strength.

Because I am a woman and a mother, the first thing that comes to mind is the process of labor and delivery, during childbirth. All of you women reading know full well how painful that is, and many men who have been at the side of their wives during the process also know how difficult it can be.

There have been a wide variety of circumstances in my life that have driven me straight to my knees and asked the same thing: LORD PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR WISDOM AND STRENGTH!... immediately after a traumatic accident with one of the kids, or myself, when I am having a particularly painful flare up with my neck, or my tummy troubles, when getting the sad news of a terminal diagnosis or the news of the death of a loved one. I could easily list more events like these but these are just the extremes in life that are common to many of us.

But what about the everyday things? Dealing with teenagers (no, I don't need to say more), handling financial difficulties, relationship issues or any number of other various kinds of personal issues. Do we not need His strength for the day to day as well?

I know I certainly do, and yet I have wondered more than once why I don't seem as desperate for it as I am during the more extreme circumstances. I know I am in desperate need of it, and I know the Bible says He will give it - and yet I'm the one who doesn't persue it with the same diligence during the day-to-day events of life.

Our Bible promises us God's strength to deal with whatever we need to deal with. Spiritual issues, personal issues, in extreme crisis or the mundane, every day events that can certainly leave us feeling worn out, weary and just so ready for the day to end. Someone once told me that God is not only concerned with the big things in our life, but every aspect of our life - that the little things are not little, with God. It sounded very cliche at the time but the more I thought about it the more I realized just how true it is. While the baby crying for hours on end may not be a "big thing" in the grand scheme of things, it certainly is an important thing how we might react to it, and the example we set by that reaction. If you neglect turning to the Lord for a moment of prayer and seek His strength for such a thing as that, you're missing a big blessing. While the checkbook also isn't a "big thing" in the larger picture, if you suddenly find your balance in the red, how you react to that is also an indication of whether you've turned to the Lord for strength or whether you've opted to dwell on the difficult circumstances and maybe even allowing anxiety and worry to guide your thoughts.

The Bible promises God's strength for His people in every area of our lives. It is our joy and blessing to be able to turn to Him for that, all the day long if need be.