Saturday, August 11, 2007

You Wont See What I See

it means way more than just corn muffins
I'm going to take a wild guess that when you look at this little picture you don't see what I see. When you look at it, you likely see nothing more than a box of pre-mixed corn muffin dry ingredients.

When I look at it though, I think "yummy!" Folks who know me well know how much I love cornbread and how much I love this particular cornbread. They also know that part of what makes me homesick living in Canada is that I can't buy this here. There are a lot of foods that I grew up on that I can't buy here, and as bizarre as it sounds, it does make me homesick. Because I'm a stay at home mom who goes to great lengths to make yummy meals, this is a big deal to me.

I've had to learn how to try different things, use different ingredients, and even modify favorite recipes for some things, because certain things are just made differently here. Like the time I was going to make my world famous fudge for our first Christmas here, and I realized after stirring it for far too long, something wasn't right. I don't know if it's the chocolate, the marshmallow cream or what it is, but something is made differently here and my top secret recipe for world famous fudge had to be seriously modified.

This past spring when Kim & Buggy went out to CA for their anniversary trip, I half-jokingly said to her something along the lines of "say, while you're out there, if you happen to find yourself at a Vons (grocery store), and a case of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix flies off the shelf and wrestles you to the ground (certain foods do this you know, like pie, and candy bars - it's a waste of time to fight them off, you might as well just buy them and get it over with), could you bring it home for me?" I said I was half joking because they were on their special anniversary trip, it would be a bit obnoxious for me to honestly expect her to go to a store and get me something. But you know what she did? She went to the store and got some for me. It wasn't a case of course, that would be way too heavy!

Not only that, but someone else knows how much I love this stuff and that I can't buy it here. So, guess what they did? They sent me a great big ole box of this corn bread mix!

These are two of my dearest friends in the world. They didn't just give me dry baking ingredients, they gave me a little bit of "home". I'm so blessed to have friends like this.