Sunday, August 12, 2007

Trivial Time

We didn't make it to church today. waaaa!

I'm not sure exactly how it worked out this way because everything was done right, but then suddenly there just wasn't enough time between the time we had to be out the door, and the time we had left to make sure all 5 kids and the both of us were ready. That doesn't happen very often and for that I'm thankful. I suppose it should be more surprising that we do manage to do this, and do it on time, 99% of the time.

So this got me to thinking about time, in various ways. I'm currently reading The Forgotten Trinity by James White, and he goes into how God is outside of time (the way we understand time) because He created time. Can you get your finite brain cells around that one? Neither can I. It's impossible because we are in time, and can't begin to figure out how you can be outside of time. An analogy came to mind but with all analogies when it comes to the character of God, it falls quite short.

I have a miniature Christmas village, complete with all sorts of people, animals, trees and various other accessories to compliment all the buildings. I don't remember how many buildings I have, but I think there are about 30 of them. In any case, every year I put the whole thing out and literally create an entire village. I create the streets, the sidewalks, the playground area for the wee little kid figurines, the ice skating pond, the wildlife sanctuary, the carolers in the park, and on it goes. The whole village is dependant on me to exist. I'm not the least bit confined by the limits of the village because I created it, and I'm outside of it, and it exists and looks and feels (and gets taken down & packed away, then brought back out again) exactly the way I want it to. I'm not limited to it's limitations because I create them and I'm outside of them. That's the closest I'll ever come while in this flesh, to even begin to understand how God is not limited by time the way we are.

Time is a strange thing though. It occured to me recently how odd it seems that the cutesie-poo little girl who used to demand I not help her with tying her shoe, is going to be 25 years old in just a few short months. Where did that time go?

Last night a friend said to me "oh I feel so old!" after hearing some music they hadn't heard in many years. The same happens to me with music. Like yesterday when I heard a Jim Croce song. It struck me that while I just a child when Jim Croce was popular, an entire generation has grown up since then. How did that happen?

Once when I was a young mother, someone advised me to enjoy my children while they're young because they grow up so fast. Whoever said that knew what they were talking about, to be sure.

It's an inescapable fact that summer is coming to a quick close, and before I know it, I'm going to be back in full-on teacher mode. Soon, I'll be smelling woodsmoke outside as neighboring farms start to take the chill out of the air in their homes, fall migration of birds will be in full swing, and the days of playing in the pool will be replaced with bike rides with jackets on. Before I know it, we'll be planning our annual trek to the apple farm for a fall crop of goodies & Canadian Thanksgiving centerpiece items. Where did my summer go?

And in the time it actually took me to start this blog post and then finish it, several hours have already gone by because it was more prudent to do other things than finish this, right away. It took you likely a minute to read it, and it took me about 6 hours to write it.

I hope you weren't looking for any kind of spiritual lesson or moral message in this post, because there isn't one, really. Just another peek into what goes on in my noggin' as it pertains to time. Speaking of which, it is now nap time.