Sunday, July 29, 2007

There is a Redeemer

I wouldn't have known it if I hadn't read it here, but yesterday was the 25th anniversary of the Homegoing of Christian musician Keith Green. Twenty five years ago, I was a 17 yr old know-it-all with great big pipe dreams and someone who didn't know the Lord. It would be another 12 years before I came to know a redeemed life in Christ, and ever hear the name of Keith Green. Even then, the only memory I have of ever hearing his name was when I asked once "who wrote this song?" and someone told me Melody Green finished it, after her husband passed away. I'm not even sure what song that was, so last night I did a brief search for Keith Green's music. Imagine my surprise to find out that he wrote four songs that I know so well, I sing them to myself all the time, around the house:

• Oh Lord, You're Beautiful
• How Majestic Is Thy Name
• Create in Me a Clean Heart
• There Is a Redeemer

In a way, I find it sad that I didn't know he wrote those songs, but in another way I find it rather amazing that this man's music had and continues to have, such an influence on my own Christian walk, without me ever even knowing it was his music. No doubt I'm not the only person to say what an influence Keith Green had on a young Christian's life. Not only that, Oh Lord, You're Beautiful has been sung by me to all 4 of my youngest kids when they were in the crib. Something about that song always soothed them, even if I can't really sing.

It's not uncommon for me to sing a song of praise to the Lord, and find myself crying while I do it. It was only after I got saved at 29 years old, that I ever cried because I was overcome with thanks, and here are the words to one such song that often does this to me:

There is a Redeemer,
Jesus, Gods own son,
Precious lamb of God, Messiah,
Holy one

Jesus my Redeemer,
Name above all names,
Precious Lamb of God, Messiah,
Oh, for sinners slain.

Thank you oh my father,
For giving us your Son,
And leaving your Spirit,
til the work on earth is done.

When I stand in glory,
I will see His face,
And there I'll serve my King forever,
In that holy place.

Thank you oh my Father,
For giving us your Son,
And leaving your Spirit,
til the work on earth is done.

There is a redeemer,
Jesus, Gods own Son,
Precious Lamb of God, Messiah,
Holy one

Thank you oh my Father,
For giving us your Son,
And leaving your Spirit,
til the work on earth is done.

And leaving your Spirit,
till the work on earth is done.

I've often wondered if it feels like time stands still, in heaven. Or if we'll have any sense or even care about time at all, or just understand it from a completely new perspective. I wonder of Keith Green realizes he's been seeing our Saviour's face for 25 years now? I don't know, all that would only be speculative, but I do know that for the 25 years he's been in that holy place serving our King, his music on this earth has continued to point people to Christ, focus our hearts and minds on the things of God, and praise the Lord for the great things He has done.

I might not agree with every point of doctrine he held to, but I can sure say I'm thankful that this brother did what he did, with his time on this earth. That's the kind of legacy I hope to leave for my own kids someday when it's my time to go Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to share your thoughts on this. All I ask is that you keep it clean, on point, and respectful. Or I will send my beagle after you.