Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Random Seasonal Ramblings

A few disjointed thoughts today:


• See that store banner at the top of the blog? Well, that buy 3 get 1 free offer is over at 11:59 pm Wednesday August 1st. So... if you wanted to get in on this deal, you have until midnight tomorrow to do that.

• I’m not sure what it was recently, but someone said something that made me a little sad about the idea that summer is almost over. While we’ll technically have another couple of months of nice weather here in Southern Ontario (it doesn’t normally start getting chilly until around the end of September), summer vacation will be over in 5 weeks from today. I don’t like that idea!

While I do look forward to this school year (primarily because it’s Jessica’s last year and Ruth’s first year), I was sort of hoping we could do the tablecloth trick with time, and shuffle it just a bit so that 5 weeks turns into 10 weeks. Obviously this is not possible, but one can dream, can’t one?

I got to thinking about seasons, and how I feel about them. For some odd reason, they remind me of people.

Spring is like holding and admiring someone’s newborn baby. Delicate and brand new, it’s lovely to behold, has a pleasant smell that makes you feel good, but it isn’t yours to keep and soon you have to say goodbye to it.

Summer is that witty and clever friend that always makes you giggle like a pudgy kid at an all you can eat buffet, no matter what kind of mood you’re in. You love it when you realize it’s coming, and feel sad to say goodbye.

Fall reminds me of that oh-so-special friend that always has the right words to say, encourages your heart and sends you notes in the mail just because. It’s always hard to see fall go.

Winter...

Winter is that lunatic friend you have that you love to death and also drives you batty half the time. There are so many great things about winter, but for all the great things there are also extremes in the opposite direction and you sometimes just want to scream.

As I sat and thought about this, I realized that much to my active state of denial, I’m getting old. I never used to think of winter this way, and now I almost dread it coming as much as I dread the dentist. Those who know me well, will tell you that I’m fairly convinced dentists were one of the plagues in Egypt.

The older I get, the more I understand why elderly people move to Florida or Arizona, and away from the bitter cold winters of Canada.