Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Last Supper

Do you ever read a news story, especially one related to technology, and find yourself thinking "wow" and being amazed at where technology has taken us as a culture? Well, that happens to me now and then and it happened yesterday when I read this:

"A computer analyst claims to have discovered new images in Leonardo Da Vinci's "The Last Supper," one of the world's most loved religious paintings. But some experts were skeptical, dismissing the claim as another spin-off of Dan Brown's best-selling novel "The Da Vinci Code."Slavisa Pesci claims to have discovered new images in the 15th mural in the dining hall of Milan's Santa Maria delle Grazie church by superimposing a reverse image on the original image.When doing so, Pesci said he observed, for example, that the two figures on either end of the long table appear to become knights, and that another figure appears to be holding an infant.
"It came to mind to scan 'The Last Supper' and print it on transparent paper, then superimpose it in reverse on the original image. The result is a new painting, with other figures," Pesci said Wednesday at a news conference." (source: Analyst Sees New Images in 'Last Supper'


Now, I'm almost afraid to post this because I have no idea what will happen to my wee little site if 15 million hits show up. I have a hunch that's not going to happen so here we go all the same.



The Last Supper comparison

(Click to enlarge for the full size) I was curious as to how this was done, so I found a graphic at wikipedia and tried the little experiment myself using photoshop elements. I hadn't read the minute details of this article, or what was supposed to appear and/or in what order (left to right). Obviously, according to the details in other articles (I've still not seen the picture myself), my experiment is actually backwards. The figures that should be on the left are on the right, in my own version. Now bear in mind this was JUST messing around with transparencies, but I did find the result pretty interesting.

Please note, this is for entertainment purposes only. It means nothing whatsoever, other than technology is cool - but we already knew that, didn't we?