Monday, July 9, 2007

5 Random Questions Meme

Jen tagged me for this meme... so here we go:

1. What is your favorite OUTDOOR memory, before Kindergarten?

This is hard because I have LOTS of them. One that has often come to mind over the years however, was being at the community park that had the wading pool for little kids, and the huge outdoor swimming pool for the bigger kids. I loved the wading pool but I always wished I was big enough to go to the BIG pool. As I grew up I spent every summer at the big pool, until they closed it when I was about 16.

2. Do you find history fascinating and if so, which historical period are you most likely to explore?

I absolutely find history fascinating. It's impossible to pin down a certain period because I find them all just as interesting as the others. If I had to pick one time period over the others I think it might be the late 1700's/early 1800's when the pioneers in the US began heading west to discover new lands. Can you imagine discovering brand new places that very few people had ever seen before? I'm sure it was hard living (and no doubt it was) but it must have also been a fantastic adventure - especially for the kids!

3. What period of art do you prefer and who is your favorite artist?

I don't like this question. What most people think of as "art", I look at and think "my 4 yr old can paint better than that". I don't have a favorite period or favorite artist - I appreciate the artistic talent of anyone of any time period - as long as it's good and not some sloppy attempt at being artsy for art's sake.

4. What kind of vacuum cleaner to you own and would you recommend it to someone who is looking for a vacuum cleaner that is strong enough to pick up little red Vizsla hairs without locking itself to the expensive oriental rugs in the process.

First of all, I didn't even know what a Vizsla was, so I had to look it up. In case you didn't know:

Any of a Hungarian breed of shorthaired, medium-sized hunting dogs having a deep rust-gold coat and a docked tail.

Okay, last time I checked, I don't have a Hungarian hunting dog. I do however have an always hungry Border Collie and a most annoying Beagle, and they leave plenty of hair on the carpets.
I honestly have no idea what kind of vacuum I have, except that it was the "on sale now for $89.99" variety, with a dirt cup instead of a bag. It was GREAT when we first got it but it's not so great now. I think you're supposed to routinely replace the filters to make it super-duper like it was when it was new. I just clean them, instead.

5.Tell me about your favorite pan, if you have one. Speaking of pans, have you ever made crepes? If so, what is your favorite filling?

Any pan that is a good non-stick, works well for me. I had a favorite pan (that wasn't non-stick) that I'd had for about 20 years and one time when we moved, the pan never made it to the new place. Not sure what happened to that box but I never saw it again.

As for crepes, YES. Every December (and it's the only time I ever make them) I can be found in the kitchen a few days before Christmas, preparing a small tower of crepes. I usually make between 30 and 40 of them so that everyone can have at least two, to go along with their bacon quiche, for Christmas morning breakfast. For the filling I use fresh strawberries and lemon curd, with a small dollop of whipped cream. Fresh (homemade) lemon curd is much better than store-bought, but the second best alternative is hot lemon pie filling. Crepe recipes are a dime a dozen, but if anyone wants mine I'd be glad to post it.
Okay now I'm supposed to tag 5 people. Gack, this is always the hard part since everyone I know is either already tagged or will be by the time I get this posted. So I'll tell you what - if YOU want to consider yourself tagged, share your answers in the comments here!