Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Old School

I suppose there are a variety of factors that make me the way I am, but the bottom line is simply that I am fairly old fashioned when it comes to certain things. I'm not even really sure that "old fashioned" is the right way to describe myself, but for a lack of a better word/phrase, that's the one I'm using.


I'm from the school of thought that there are just some things in life that are not and should not ever be subjects for public conversation. I know I've written on this before but I'm just too lazy to go track it down and update it, so I'll start from scratch. Consider this a refresher.

Unless you've been living in a cave for the last 10 years, you've no doubt noticed that more and more professing Christians are acting MORE and more like professing unbelievers. In their walk, talk, entertainment choices, the way they raise their kids, the sermon topics at church - and virtually every other area of life. It seems to be a common theme these days that instead of confessing a weakness for *whatever* (insert whatever besetting sin that would be the whatever), and seeking accountability and encouragement from fellow believers to avoid that temptation (afterall, we don't really want anyone to know we're weak, fallen, easily tempted human beings, do we!?), that the more common thing to do is "unpack", "redefine", "deconstruct" and make every excuse in the book, to justify participation in said sinful conduct. I recently mentioned to a friend that the thing about unpacking something (that never needed unpacking to begin with) is that it never quite fits back in the box the same way. In a very real sense, there are certain things that should just stay in the box, so to speak.

The one area I notice this the most, is probably in publicly posted conversational topics. Blogs, websites & chat rooms. While it's certainly not limited to the internet, this is where a lot of us spend a decent amount of time during the week and this is where I'm seeing it more and more.

The particular kinds of topics I'm referring to are such things as intimacy between a husband and a wife, personal issues that pertain to either men or women, graphic details of any kind of personal sin struggle, or the retelling of details/events that took place during the last battle that was lost.

The thing is, we've all got issues whether we admit it or not. We're all struggling with something or another, we all have questions about things, and we all have opinions of things - some right and maybe even some misguided. But from where I sit, I honestly can't see the value in any way, to make such intimately personal subjects fodder for public consumption. I'm of the mind that men should discuss men's issues privately with other men - and the same for women. I'm also of the mind that no one has any need to know the grapic details of my or your latest struggle with sin, because the Lord already knows and He's the one we're supposed to be concerned with first and foremost. Isn't He? In our day it's apparently the thing to do to be "authentic" with people and let them know you're just as much of a wretched sinner as they are, so whipping out all the gorey details is good.(?) How twisted is that? (Ephesians 5:11,12)

The thing is, there are countless things we can talk about publicly, and several things that are important enough and personal enough to deserve private attention and personal discussion one on one with those who are wiser than us, and will give us sound, Biblical instruction, advice and support. Then there are other things that are just none of my business, none of your business, and none of anyone's business but the business that takes place on your knees before God. Which is exactly where they ought to stay.

Yep, that's what I think. If that makes me old fashioned, then old fashioned it is.