Friday, June 1, 2007

Deep Fried WHAT?

I mentioned in the last post that if a recipe I created turned out, I'd post it. Well, it turned out - even though it could have used a little more fine tuning. I'll make my suggestions below (and yes, we'll be trying this again!)



deep fried bananasDeep-fried Bananas with Caramel Sauce

4 bananas
½ c. walnuts, toasted and finely chopped*
½ c. fine breadcrumbs
vegetable oil
Caramel Sauce**

Peel the bananas and cut them in half lengthways, then half again, so that you have long strips. Mix the nuts and breadcrumbs in a bowl and press the banana pieces in it so they’re evenly coated. Using a deep fryer or a deep frying pan, heat the oil to 180 C. Deep fry the bananas in a single layer for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towelling.

To serve, place the bananas on a plate and pour some caramel sauce over top.

*I chopped up the nuts real tiny then put in the oven on broil for about 10 minutes at 450 F.
**I used caramel/butterscotch ice cream topping. Kev suggested using the caramel sauce in addition to a dark chocolate sauce also drizzled lightly over the bananas.

I would also suggest using a little bit (a teaspoon) of cinnamon or nutmeg in with the breadcrumbs and toasted nuts, just to give a hint of spice. Otherwise, these were quite tasty and very easy to make.