Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Cracked Twigs?

PLEASE SEE THE UPDATE BELOW

You've heard it said never judge a book by it's cover, I'm sure. Well, I suppose the same would to apply to never judging a book by an isolated quote as well. Or would it?

I'm currently reading James White's Scripture Alone and I could paste all kinds of insightful quotes here that would be sure to not only grab your attention but in and of themselves be excellent representative quotes of the entire book. I could have done the same with the last two John MacArthur books as well.

However, with that said, I know it's easy to take a quote out of context and make it appear to say something it doesn't really mean or didn't quite intend- people do that with Scripture all the time. So when I read a quote taken from a larger body of material, it really bugs me if I can't read the surrounding text to see if the first impression I get from the quote was the intended impression.

This happened today when I read a quote from a book, posted at Between Two Worlds, and here's the quote:

"Brothers, it falls to us to be the initial risk takers in matters of the heart. Headship means being the one to go ahead and ask. It is ours as men to suffer the embarrassment of rejection if need be. It is our role to initiate. Get to it right merrily. We are the hunters. They are the quarry. It is for men to strike out into the forest and look. It is for women to crack the twigs and stir the leaves so we know where to find them." - John Ensor, Doing Things Right in Matters of the Heart

A few things to clarify:

1. This book is on matters of the heart as they pertain to relationships between men and women.
2. I had never heard of this book (and therefore obviously do not have it, to read it) or the author, before today.
3. The way the conduct of women is defined here, leaves me highly uncomfortable.

Obviously my issue here is #3 so I have a few questions.
- Have you read this book?
- If you did, would you recommend it?
- Did/does that quote bother you also, or are you okay being defined as a woman who goes out of her way to make herself obviously available?

I don't want to judge a book by it's cover, but this description of women really bothers me. I look forward to any insight on this one.

UPDATE: Thanks to Amanda in the comments, be sure to check this out:

"How does a woman appropriately, biblically, humbly, and submissively go about cracking the twigs and stirring the leaves?"

An excellent question and one that Carolyn McCulley at SoloFemininity has opened up the comments for, at her blog.