Last week, Jessica came home from youth group with a "Cleaning Out Your Closet" checklist for modest dressing. I never made any suggestions to her to do so, but a couple of days later, she cleaned her entire room and left a bag of clothes outside her door. Apparently she was motivated :-). I'll submit the list here (with only a few, small revisions) for both teenagers and their moms, (summer IS just around the corner, girls!) with the hope that you'll find it useful. This may already be posted online somewhere, and I'm not even sure who the author is. All the same, here it is:
Blouses and Tops
• If your blouse buttons up, is it so tight that someone sitting beside you might get a glimpse through the gaps between the buttons as you move around?
• If someone is standing over you, or you bend over, could someone get an eyeful of cleavage?
• Are any of your tops so sheer that others can see the lace on your bra?
• Do any of your sleeveless shirts or tank tops reveal your bra straps, or require that you not wear a bra?
• Do your shirts reveal any part of your abdomen or back if you do the "halleluia test"? (lift your hands above your head)
• Do any of your shirts have sexually suggestive slogans? (such as "sexy" or "flirt")
• Are any of your jeans so tight that someone could read the date on the dime in your back pocket?• Do you have to lie down on the bed and suck in your stomach so you can zip up your pants?• Do any of your jeans ride your hips so low that your underwear can be seen from the back?• Do you own any pants that have lettering on graphics across the seat to draw attention to your rear view?
• Do your skirts or shorts come above your thumbnail when your arms are at your side?• Back up to a full length mirror and then bend over to touch your toes. Are your panties on display in this position?• Do any of your skirts ride excessively high when seated?• When you are wearing a particular skirt, could someone sitting or standing in front of you catch a glimpse of your panties or upper thighs if you fail to keep your legs crossed?• Regardless of the length of your skirts, do you have any slits up the front, back or side that could draw a guy's eye too far up your legs?
• If you choose to wear thong underwear, does the waistband show when you squat down or bend over?• Do you have bras that you like to wear because you know the pretty straps will show when you wear certain tops?