Tuesday, May 1, 2007

100 Mostly Irrelevant Things About Me

I've seen this more than a few times on other people's blogs, and I always enjoy reading the lists to "get to know" the blogger a little better. I think I even attempted it once, but it's a lot harder than it looks to list 100 things about yourself. In any event, here it is:


100 Mostly Irrelevant Things About Me

1. I grew up in Puget Sound WA.
2. My grandpa was related to Belle Starr - somehow. Or so the story goes.
3. In the third grade I told my friends that John Wayne was my dad.
4. I have forgotten my own anniversary several times.
5. I've been hit by a car, twice.
6. I once accidentally stabbed myself in the hand with a swiss army knife.
7. My first car was a 1986 Ford T-Bird.
8. When I read The Stand I came down with a flu exactly like the book described. Well, almost exactly like it.
9. When I was 17 I told everyone I knew that I would never have kids, but adopt.
10. My first daughter was born a year later. People still ask "are they all yours?".
11. When I was 11, I wanted to be a boy because girls were stupid.
12. Growing up, people told me I looked like Kristy McNichol. As an adult, people have said I look like Kirsty Alley. As a teenager my best friend of many years was named Chris. None of that means anything whatsoever.
13. I've had 4 surgical procedures in 4 decades.
14. I've never broken a bone.
15. At 6, I ate a live ant, on a dare. I wouldn't recommend it.
16. I'm handy with power tools and enjoy working with them.
17. I can make my hair do anything I want it to, but I'm generally too lazy to do it.
18. At 30 years old I was filmed doing a cartwheel in front of the "Welcome to Palm Springs" sign. I could do it again.
19. I once used bat manure to fertilize my tomatos, and had more tomatos than I knew what to do with.
20. I don't really like tomatos that much.
21. I detest seafood, with the burning passion of 10,000 white-hot suns.
22. I love all fruit except cantalope.
23. My favorite job ever, was landscaping.
24. My dream job would be a wildlife photojournalist.
25. I've watched someone die.
26. I've never watched anyone be born.
27. I'd prefer to do neither. Death isn't normal and childbirth is gross.
28. I've lost track of how many times I've seen The Abyss.
29. One of the rings I have on, I've had on for 27 years.
30. I only wear sterling silver.
31. I once had jet black hair with a blue tint to it.
32. I was a student-tutor in my junior year of highschool, to first graders. I loved it.
33. I have vivid dreams that often give people the creeps, when they hear about them.
32. I wrote a country-western song on the electric organ, at 17. I sang it in the rain, on my front porch when people were walking by.
33. I flew to NYC for my 31st birthday and did a nationally syndicated talk show.
34. I got a spanking in front of the class, in kindergarten.
35. In 7th grade I called my gym teacher a bad name and got 5 "hacks" for it. I deserved it.
36. I once studied astral projection and got so creeped out I had nightmares.
37. I've seen a ufo.
38. I've ridden a llama. It spit on my brother before the ride.
39. I've owned my own business - 4 different times.
40. I've lived through earthquakes. I hate them.
41. I've never been overseas.
42. I can't do the Dr. Spock hand symbol/sign/thing.
43. I'm horrible with geography.
44. I sound extremely southern, when I'm tired.
45. I once ate 5 hot dogs in row, and a whole watermelon in one sitting. (Not both on the same day)
46. I've never owned a house.
47. I once bought a car for the asking price of a 6 pack of Cinnabons. It lasted for roughly 3,000 miles then literally blew up.
48. I've held a loaded gun with the intent to fire.
49. I had a crush on a boy in kindergarten with the nick name of Speedy. He could run fast in his shoes that had buckles on them.
50. As a kid I spent more time in the top of the pear tree than anywhere else.
51. I once knocked my brother's tooth loose. I felt bad about it.
52. I think my favorite color is bergundy. Or forest green. Maybe teal. I'm not sure.
53. I've owned my dream car, a Jaguar. I sold it a year later.
54. As a teenager I skipped Thanksgiving dinner once to watch Patton.
55. I'm one of the pickiest eaters you'll ever meet, but I love authentic Italian & Mexican dishes.
56. I get nervous if someone yells at me.
57. I don't get nervous meeting famous people (isn't that weird?).
58. I've had more root canals than I can remember.
59. I won first place in a cookie recipe context at a local grocery store.
60. My favorite drink is coffee with French vanilla cream. Or peach iced tea.
61. Favorite musical instrument to hear being played is a 12 string acoustic guitar.
62. I can't play any musical instruments.
63. I have issues with people who dress up their pets and talk about them like children.
64. I cannot keep houseplants alive.
65. My dream vacation destination is Scotland.
66. I'd be afraid to win the lottery.
67. As a child I believed new tennis shoes made you run faster. I tried it with each new pair. I still believe it.
68. The stickers from bananas do in fact, go in the middle of your forehead.
69. My favorite restaurant is Las Casuelas Nuevas, in Palm Springs CA.
70. I hate the taste of alcololic drinks.
71. I've lived in 2 states and (currently) a foreign country.
72. I don't watch daytime tv.
73. I love Jack Bauer.
74. My first real job was a coat-check girl at a disco, in 1978. I was paid under the table.
75. I don't know how to play politics.
76. I once had a dead weasel in my garage for several months. It was winter, he was frozen. I named him Peasel.
77. I still own my skinny Levi 501's, and plan to wear them again someday.
78. I don't like high heels.
79. I rarely wear make-up.
80. I paint my toenails once a year. Usually in July.
81. I have a strong dislike for opera.
82. Sometimes I snort when I laugh.
83. I know a Secret Service agent.
84. The one class I never ditched in highschool was choir.
85. I once drove my car off the road because there was a bumblebee in the back window. I forgot to put it in park and jumped out, too.
86. I've eaten blood pudding. I didn't know it was blood pudding, and would never try it again, even though I liked it as a kid.
87. I've tried vegemite. Once.
88. My four oldest girls were all born in the same hospital I was born in.
89. I've been less than 6 feet away from a moose in the wild. I have pics to prove it.
90. I have a heightened sense of smell.
91. I've taken a nap almost every day since January 1983.
92. I once drove a motorcycle straight into the side of a garage wall. The brakes were out, it was the only way to stop.
93. My earliest memory is of myself standing in my crib at roughly 10 months old.
94. Nine times out of ten when one of the kids ask what's for dinner, my answer is "food". When they ask what kind, the answer is "the kind you eat".
95. I got a paper route in 5th grade just to save enough money to buy my own bike. I bought it, and wiped out a week later and destroyed it.
96. I'm afraid of bees, getting lost, and being unable to breathe.
97. I don't like attending bridal showers.
98. I once put a bug in my Social Studies teacher's coffee, on a dare. I didn't get caught, and she did drink it.
99. I make lists for just about everything. Like this one.
100. My mom reads my blog, and comments.