Sunday, April 8, 2007

Up for a little survey?

It happens every time. Even though I know it happens every time, and I know it's going to happen every time, I'm never really ready for it.

There are numerous, wonderful old hymns, that touch the heart. Some of them touch it a little deeper than others, but there's one that leaves me completely undone, every time I hear it.

This hymn is short, but it says so much with so few words. Every time I hear it, or we sing it in church (which isn't enough, in my opinion) I begin to cry. By the time we get to the very last line, I can no longer sing. I don't know if I've ever sung the very last line of this hymn, now that I think about it. Thankfully the kind lady in the pew behind me had a little travel pack of tissues that she graciously offered me.

Let it undo you too:

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Isaac Watts


But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. - Galatians 6:14